Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Fritata Test

 
I am constantly pressing my kids to try new foods.  Sometimes I am successful and other times not, but I thought I would share a picture from one of my successes.  I usually have a back up plan when I introduce something new.  In the picture above, my backups are organic gluten free chicken tenders and fries, which I know my kids will eat but as you can see, my little Mason is eating his Fritata (egg pizza) and bypassing the old standard.  It makes my day when I have a dinner victory!
Breakfast for dinner is a great option and fritatas are 
so tasty and easy to make.  You can basically throw in any ingredients you like and you're good to go.  Below is a recipe for one of my new favorites.

La Recette: 
8 extra large fresh eggs
1 medium sweet potato (cut of sides so that you make a rectangle - then dice)
1/3 cup leeks cut into skinny rings
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella 
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat the olive oil in an oven proof skillet.  Put the potatoes, leeks, and onions, 1/2 teaspoon and a pinch of pepper in the skillet and sauté until tender about 8 minutes.  
Break eggs into a large bowl.  Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and whisk vigorously.  Pour the eggs over the vegetables and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.  Sprinkle the cheese over the fritata and transfer skillet to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until the fritata is puffed and golden.  
Remove from the oven and let the fritata cool for a few minutes.  Serve immediately and enjoy.  

*Serves 6.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...