Saturday, March 29, 2014

Quick Kitchen Tip


I am always trying to create great new snacks for my kids and I'm really excited about this one.  Snacking is serious business in our house so they need to be stellar.  Pictured above are dates with peanut butter and mini dark chocolate chips.  I've always loved dates - they are so sweet and delicious but I've had some trouble getting my kids to eat them.  Add a few chocolate chips et voila, a perfect little healthy snack that is low in sugar and kid approved.  The only down side is that they obviously aren't nut free but other than that they are vegan and free of most other major allergens.  I use an un-sweetend peanut butter and dark chocolate is lower in sugar than white or milk chocolate.  I did some research on dates and the health benefits are astounding.  They are rich in fiber, iron, potassium, and calcium.  They also contain tannins which posses anti-infecive and anti-inflammatory properties.  Dates grow on a specific type of palm tree and are believed to have originated back to the banks of the Nile and Euphrates Rivers.  In fact, the date is one of the oldest fruits in the world - probably first eaten around 6,000 B.C.E.  I thought I would throw in a little history lesson there ;)  Enjoy this super healthy, delectable treat!

La Recette:

Ingredients-
Medjool Dates
Peanut Butter - preferably no sugar added
Chocolate chips - I like mini dark but you can use any variety

Directions-
-Dates have pits but they are very easy to remove.  I always buy them with the pits.  Just make a small slice in the center and with your knife you can easily scrape the pit from the date.
-Open the date up a little and place 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in the middle.
-Sprinkle with a few chocolate chips and you are done!


I like to buy Medjool dates.  They are larger and in my opinion, sweeter than other date varieties.  


This peanut butter is delicious.  No added sugar and it's a great price.  Around $3 for this big tub.   I love Whole Foods!





I am really craving spring clothes so I thought I would post a picture of one of my most coveted shoes for Spring.  I LOVE these.  Lanvin just makes great shoes and this smoking slipper is gorgeous.  
Also, my anniversary is coming up and I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.  These photos were taken in 2005 on our honeymoon in Bali.  Doesn't this just look like heaven?  It was the trip of our lives and we were so lucky to  have the experience.  Bali is one of my most favorite places ever.  The people and the food are  incredible.  I can't believe it was almost 9 years ago!  Happy Anniversary to my wonderful husband.  


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...