Friday, July 4, 2014

Holy Guacamole


Happy Fourth of July!  I love guacamole.  For me, it is definitely a summer staple and I really only make  it from Cinco de Mayo through Labor Day.  I could make it year round but I prefer to keep it as a special treat for summer time.  You can get avocados all year long from South America but California avocados peak in the summer so it's really the perfect time for guacamole.  I know everyone has a guacamole recipe that they love, but I happen to think that this particular combination of ingredients is a real winner.  If you are making guacamole today for your BBQ, try this recipe.  I think you'll love it!  The combination of lime and lemon juice gives it a really nice zing and sea salt brings in a saltier/brinier flavor.  If you are making guacamole for a group, my suggestion is one 1/2 -1 avocado/person.  Another tip is using flat leaf parsley instead of cilantro.  I happen to love cilantro but a lot of people don't.  I find you either love it or hate it so to make sure that everyone enjoys your guacamole, I use flat leaf parsley.  You can always have some chopped cilantro on the side.  I love the smell of both herbs and this truly is the perfect hors d'oeuvre.  It's vegan, nut free, gluten free, and super healthy.  Everyone can enjoy!  Have a wonderful Fourth of July with your family and friends!


Ready to serve!


Hass Avacados


Les ingrédients...


My guacamole man…love him!

La Recette:

Ingredients-
4 Hass avacados
1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced**
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 tablespoons jalepeño, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Supplies-
2 medium bowls - one for mixing, one for serving
Cutting board
Chefs knife
Paring knife
Spoon
Measuring cups and spoons

Directions-
-Cut each avocado in half and pit each one.  Make horizontal and vertical slices in the avocado so that you have little grid with cubes (about 1/2 inch wide) and spoon out the avocado into the bowl.
-After you have prepared the onion, tomato, jalepeño and garlic, put them into the bowl with the avocado. 
-Add the parsley, lemon juice, lime juice, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper.
-Using the pairing knife make cuts into the avocado to break the bigger pieces down.  I never mash my guacamole.  I like it chunky so just use a knife to cut the bigger avocado pieces and then give it a couple of good mixes with a spoon.
-Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite chip.

*Serves 4.  If you need to make a bigger batch remember the rule of 1/2 -1 avocado/person and increase each ingredient by a quarter except with the salt and pepper.  Add that in to taste.  
**When you are preparing a tomato, I cut around the seeds in the middle.  Just use the outside flesh.  This way you leave out the seedier/ more watery section.  You can reserve this part for vegetable stock or another use…

-This recipe is being featured as part of the Raise.com Fourth of July Fun Blog.  If you need to purchase a gift card or sell an unwanted gift card, check out:  www.raise.com for a great selection of discounted gift cards.  Raise.com can help you save money on ingredients for this recipe or other summer recipes that you have.  https://www.raise.com/blog/4th-july-fun/

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...