Sunday, April 7, 2013

Roasted Garlic Shrimp with Lemon Butter Pasta


This pasta dish is a big winner.  My kids gobble up the shrimp and pasta.  My husband loves it and I am happy everyone enjoyed their dinner:)  It is SO simple.  I can easily have it ready in 20 minutes.  The flavor is amazing.  You can substitute chicken or just make it a plain pasta dish - throw in some veggies, basically tailor it anyway you like.  I prefer to make it with shrimp and usually a green vegetable on the side (asparagus/hericots verts), and I am thrilled if mes petites eat a few bites of the "green stuff".  Also, if you have a dairy allergy, you can substitute earth balance for the butter.

La Recette:
1 lb. shrimp (around a 30 count) - they will be medium sized and I peel and devein them myself because it's more cost efficient at my grocery store.  It doesn't take too long and it's a big money saver.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 lb. gluten free pasta (I prefer penne or fusilli but any variety will work)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup pasta water
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped - for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  

Bring a large pot of salted water (about 1T.)  to boil.  I also add about 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil - I find it helps keep the gluten free pasta separated.  Cook until al dente.  Roughly 12 minutes.  *Put the shrimp in about the same time the pasta goes into the boiling water.  The shrimp will be done first, then the pasta.   
After the shrimp are deveined, I put them in a medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and the minced garlic.  Toss.  Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spread the shrimp out in a single layer (you can prep the shrimp the night before and keep them in the fridge). Cook for about 8 minutes.  
While the shrimp and pasta are going, melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pan.  Add 2 tablespoons of evoo, lemon zest, lemon juice salt and pepper.  Give a quick whisk until combined.  Turn the burner down to low.  
Just before you are ready to drain the pasta, scoop out a 1/2 cup of pasta water and put into the lemon butter sauce.  
Once the pasta is drained, dump into the lemon butter sauce, add the shrimp and toss well.  Sprinkle parsley over the pasta.  Serve immediately and enjoy!


*Note to Moms: After a long day, I really enjoy this dinner with a glass of Kim Crawford 2012 Sauvignon Blanc.  Really good ;) 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...