Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Napoli


This panini is a homage to my Chicago days.  When I would have my French lessons, my teacher Julie  and I would meet at this quaint little coffee shop called Caffè Rōm.  We would order this wonderful creation of cheese filled bliss and it was my idea of a perfect afternoon.  French and good food - can't get much better. Pair it with a cappuccino (Caffè Rōm happens to have one of the best I've tasted in the states) or a Pellegrino and you have the best lunch ever!  I have been wanting to create a gluten free version of this panini for a while and I finally did!  Mason, like me, loves  Buffalo Mozzarella*.  I knew he would gobble it up and now he requests it for lunch on a regular basis.  He asks for it sans tomatoes but I'm working on that!  I always like to have a small side salad with this panini as well with a quick homemade dressing.  Never, I repeat never, buy salad dressing.  It's so easy to make and less expensive.  I keep mine in the fridge for up to a week.  The recipe for that will be coming soon.  Enjoy!  And, if you have a favorite recipe you would like me to make gluten free, please email me or leave a comment.  I love a challenge ;)  marissa@sugarandspicegf.com


La Recette:

Ingredients-
1 - gluten free baguette or roll (I love Schär)  
1-2 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
4-6 slices Buffalo Mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 bunch basil (roughly 4 leaves but you can use more if desired)
Extra virgin olive oil
Good quality Balsamic vinegar (I've used a fig infused flavor but feel free to use anything that sounds good.)
Herbes de Provence
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
-The last five ingredients are to taste.

Directions-
-You'll need a panini press or a grill pan and something to press down on the top of the panini
-Slice the bread in half vertically and then the long way horizontally to your desired size
-Toast the bread in a toaster oven or regular oven to golden brown, about five minutes.
-Let the bread cool for a few minutes and drizzle each half generously with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
-Place the cheese on the bottom half of the bread and then the tomatoes (you can use as little or as much as you would like).
-Sprinkle with Herbes de Provence, kosher salt and pepper to taste.
-Next, layer the basil.  Drizzle a small amount of balsamic on the basil and put on the top half of the bread.  
-Making sure that the panini press or grill pan is hot, place on the press and grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is a medium brown.  If you are using a grill pan have something heavy like another pan to press on top and you'll probably want to flip it once.  
-Serve immediately.

Mason is enjoying The Napoli.

One of my favorite seasonings of all time.
I love my new balsamic vinegar - delicious!
I like my Balsamic to be extra syrupy.
The original Napoli from Caffé Rōm.
*Fun fact - Buffalo Mozzarella or Mozzarella di Bufala is a mozzarella cheese made from the milk of the domestic water buffalo.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...